I started clicker training with my dogs in 1996. I love how positive reinforcement training with a distinct marker signal so clearly communicates with animals. Training this way can create cooperative dogs who are eager to learn, and I am frequently amazed at how intelligent animals are and how well they can learn with clicker training.
Some of my personal training accomplishments,
- CD (AKC Companion Dog title) with a cautious, reactive sheltie.
- NA (AKC Novice Agility) and NAJ (AKC Novice Agility Jumpers) in one 3 day weekend.
- CD (AKC Comanion Dog title) in 3 shows.
- a CDX (AKC Companion Dog Excellent) in 3 shows.
- UD (AKC Utitlity Dog title) all with scores mostly in the 190 – 198 range, with many placements.
56 HIT’s (AKC High in Trial’s).
- Zip earned his AKC Beginner Novice obedience title on July 6, 2012. In 4 straight days of shows, he earned scores of 200 (1st place), 199 (won a run off for 3rd place) and 193 (2nd place) for his title and another perfect 200 score (1st place) on the 4th day.
- Zip earned his CD August 3, 2013, with a 4th placement. His other 2 legs were a first and second placement and also High in Trial.
- New! Zip earned 2 legs towards his PCDX with scores of 198.0 and 195.5.
- New! 11/2014 Zip earned 2 legs towards his CDX with 197.5 for a second and also a 190.0 for a 3rd placement.
- New! Zip gets his 3rd AKC PCDX leg for his title and a bumper leg, all 1st places.
When I am not training, playing with or walking my dogs I enjoy cooking, vintage and retro decor, reading science fiction and crochet.
You can reach me through my contact page →
Some of the dog training events, certifications and educational seminars attended
Barbara Burri, CDSP Judge
May 3, 2015
About the exercises and rules for CDSP Obedience.
Ken Rameriz, Executive Vice President and Chief Training Officer of Karen Pryor Clicker Training
December 7, 2014
The steps and key factors needed to teach a variety of Modifier cues (left/right, up/down, big/small), mimicry and counting to dogs.
Managing Separation Anxiety
Debra Horwitz DVM, DACVB Debbie Martin RVT, VTS (Behavior)
June 10, 2011
A webinar covering the three components of managing separation anxiety.
Elevate Your Training
Bob Bailey and Parvene Farhoody
Expecting more and getting more from your training.
From Purgatory to Nirvana: The Path to Enlightened Training
Ken Rameriz, Senior Vice President and Head of Animal Training, Shedd Aquarium, Chicago
July 18, 2010
This one day seminar covered Problem Solving, how to solve training challenges systematically and Non-Food Reinforcers, how to effectively use a variety of reinforcers and secondary reinforcers.
Demonstration at Harvard Coop
On June 16, 2010 Karen Pryor gave a talk about her latest book, “Reaching the Animal Mind” and held a clicker training demonstration at the Harvard Coop. I demonstrated a 12 behavior chain for the audience (12 behaviors, each done on cue, with reinforcement only at the last behavior) with Zip.
View a photo on the Karen Pryor Academy’s Facebook page.
Karen Pryor Academy for Animal Training and Behavior
The Karen Pryor Academy has an in depth, 6 month long online course, their Dog Trainer Professional course. In addition to the online coursework and personal training assignments, it includes 4 two day workkshops of in person training and demonstrating skills. The course required a score of at least 90 in online written exams, as well as in person training and teaching evaluations, in order to pass (at the time that I graduated). I graduated from the Karen Pryor Academy, with distinction in January 2010. Everyone who graduated the Dog Trainer Professional Course becomes a Karen Pryor Academy Certifiied Training Partner (KPA CTP).
KPA has 3 paid membership levels, but only the highest annual paid membership level, Premium Members, are listed on the Find a Great Trainer search on the KPA site. Regardless of what membership level they maintain afterwards, all KPA CTP’s met the same standards to graduate the course.
CAP (Clicker Assessment Program)
This is the program of Brittish trainer Kay Laurence to assess your clicker training skills. There are 4 levels to the assessments. I have passed my CAP1, CAP2 & CAP3 all with distinction, becoming the first person in the US to achieve the CAP3.
HITT Tracking Workshop
October 6 & 7 2007
Hydration Intensified Tracking Training
Clicker Expo: Reaching Higher and Higher
March 31, April 1, 2 2006
Clicker Expo is a 3 day event featuring presentations from top clicker trainers.
Clicking with Class
Kathy Sdao, M.A.
October 14, 2005
Does the Name Pavlov Ring a Bell?
Kathy Sdao, M.A.
October 15 & 16, 2005
Know Way, Know How: The Science and Art of Clicker Training
Kathy Sdao, M.A.