Targeting is when we teach an animal to touch, follow or go to an object. Many behaviors are a form of targeting or can be taught with targeting.
Some behaviors I use targeting to teach:
- Jump up to touch my hand
- Move aside, follow my hand to move out of the way
- Weave through my legs (figure 8 going between and around my legs)
- Go lie down on your mat or bed
- Go in your crate
- Push, push a door, drawer or light switch with your nose
- Finish (a competition behavior, the dog moves to sit in heel position)
- Go-out, another competition behavior where the dog runs up the center of the ring to the other end and is then cued to sit
This video is by Ken Ramirez, showing a variety of targeting for different behaviors with a (very cute) dog.