Being a dog trainer, I like teaching dogs stuff. Tricks are fun, people and dogs enjoy them and there is a wide assortment of things you can teach your dog to do. If you are new to clicker training or even training your dog, a trick is a good way for you both to learn. You can also turn something your dog already does into a trick by capturing it and putting it on cue.
This is a list of different tricks to get the ideas started. Some are just for fun and others are useful. I’ll add more to the list as I think of them. Leave a comment to share your trick ideas and I will add it to the list.
- Twirl (spin in the opposite direction)
- Shake (give you their paw)
- Shake (shake their body, like when they are wet)
- Bow (use a cue that doesn’t sound just like down, I use TaaDaa)
- Close doors (push closed with nose or paw)
- Open doors (attach something to pull)
- Pick up leash
- Pick up dropped items
- Retrieve specific items
- Retrieve a hotdog (a challenge, but it has been done!)
- Turn on/off TV (if your button is small, you can attach something so it sticks out further)
- Walk backwards
- Walk sideways
- Jump up (straight into the air)
- Go into crate (you can make it more complex by teaching them to open the door, go in, and then pull the door closed)
- Get on or up onto something, like a grooming table
- Get off – get down or off of furniture, people, etc.
- Give an item to someone else
For inspiration, this YouTube video “Useful Dog Tricks by Jesse”…